Frequently Asked Questions
Below you'll find a list of common questions we receive about our menus, services, or prices. If you have more questions, or require further information, please do not hesitate to contact us.
Q. Do I need to be a 'Member' to order?
A. Membership simply means that we have created an account for you and are able to take your order. The first time you order we will need to take your contact information and address for delivery purposes. We will also need to discuss payment options with you. We do not take payment information by email. After your account has been created you will be able to place orders by phone or email. All orders will be confirmed. If you do not receive a confirmation from us it is possible we did not receive your order.
Q. What is the difference between "ongoing" and "by the week" service?
A. "Ongoing" dinner service provides you with dinner every Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday of each week, until such time as you suspend or withdraw your subscription.
“By the week” dinner service provides you with the opportunity to choose specific weeks or days of the week for service. As an example, you may require dinners every Tuesday or Thursday. You may even want to choose weeks or days, based on your scheduled activities and workload. Give us 24 hours notice and we can get you into the Fresh Meal schedule.
Q. Can I choose to pick up my dinners instead of having them delivered?
A. Yes, dinners may be picked up on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday at the red apron between 2:00 & closing. Please let us know that you plan on picking your dinner up when you place your order.
Q. What if I am not at home to receive my Dinner?
A. Most of our clients are not at home when we deliver. We ask that you place a cooler on your porch (or an accessible location) and we will put your meal into the cooler. Your cooler should have a few ice packs in it, especially during the warmer months. The cooler is not only to keep your fresh food from getting warm or freezing, but it also protects your meal from animals, specifically those nosey squirrels.
Q. What if I have food allergies, or don't like a particular ingredient?
A. For our 'Fresh Meal Service' we are unable to make modifications or substitutions. Our Gourmet Food Shoppe is well stocked with a wide variety of items to suit your dietary restrictions. If you have any food allergies, you need to make sure we are aware of those every time you order a meal. We do not have a system that can track individual allergies.
Q. How do I decide which size will suit me best?
A. We have developed three sizes to accommodate every need.
- A single person would find that each Small sized dinner would provide sufficient food for two meals – an extra portion to bring to work for lunch, or to enjoy at dinnertime on another day.
- A couple with very young children might find the Small size satisfies the appetites of their family.
- A couple with school age children would find the Medium dinner size provides ample portions for two adults and two children under the age of 12.
- If you are like us and have hungry teenage boys, then the Large would provide healthy portions for two adults and two pre-teens/teens, probably with leftovers.
- If you like to have extra meals to pack for lunches, then order one extra portion. The food will keep well in your fridge for 3 days, or can be frozen for later use.
Q. How much do the meals cost?
A. the red apron Mid Week Dinners come in three sizes:
- Small (generous servings for two adults) – $ 102.00 per week, $ 34.00 for Tuesday or Wednesday, $ 39.90 for Thursday
- Medium (generous serving for three adults) – $ 144.00 per week, $ 51.00 for Tuesday or Wednesday, $59.85 for Thursday
- Large (generous servings for four adults) – $180.00 per week, $ 68.00 for Tuesday or Wednesday, $ 79.90 for Thursday
Meals are available each Tuesday, Wednesday & Thursday for 5 or more people at $17.00 per person (Tuesday & Wednesday) and $19.95 per person on Thursday. Advance orders only.
If you break down the costs, they compare favourably to other options you might consider, like restaurant meals and take out foods.
For example, at a price of $15-19.95 per person for a complete meal, the cost is approximately what you would spend on an entrée at a restaurant, but the portion sizes will be bigger. We use many of the same suppliers as Ottawa's fine dining restaurants at upwards of $30.00 per plate. And with the Red Apron, you don't pay for tips or taxes.
Q. How do I pay?
A. Payment can be made in advance, or charged automatically to your Credit Card at the end of each week. You can leave a cheque in your cooler for the driver to pick up, or make a pre-payment to your account which we will deduct charges against.
Q. I am entertaining. Can I increase my portion size?
With a minimum of 24 hours notice, we can increase your portion size on a particular day, or for a particular week.
Q.What if I go on vacation or a business trip?
A. Service can be suspended for vacation or business absences, with the completion of a Request for Suspension form. We must receive notice of suspension or cancellation at least 24 hours in advance of service. We are unable to accept same day cancellation of service.
Q. How do I stop the service?
A. Submit a Request for Suspension form to the red apron at least 24 hours prior to the date you wish service to terminate.
Retail HoursMonday & Tuesday 9am-6pm
Wednesday & Thursday 9am-7pm
Locationthe red apron
564 Gladstone Ave.
Ottawa, Ontario K1R 5P3