A Friendlier Solution!
- Purchase in-store or receive meal delivery from the Red Apron in the new packaging.
- Using a simple app downloaded from the Google Play or Apple app stores, you’ll scan a QR code on the bottom of your package
- Clean and return the container to a Friendlier collection bin, including those located at the Red Apron. If you are a Red Apron delivery client, you can leave your washed containers, stacked and sorted, in your cooler or on your front porch for our driver to collect.
- Friendlier Company will wash and sanitize the containers and returns them to the Red Apron to be re-used.
- You’ll receive a refund for the cost of packaging, or the money will be donated to a charity of your choice.
Paper & Biodegradable Shopping Bags
We use paper bags in store, and encourage our clients to bring reusable bags. Plastic bags are only provided upon request and we try to source biodegradable plastic where available. We also sell reusable canvas bags in store.
Some of our containers are compostable. These containers (Plant to Earth) go in your green bin at home and are great for collecting green bin items in your kitchen, before putting them in the green bin, reducing mess and smell in your home bin.
When we package items for sale in our retail store, we use the smallest container and squeeze the most food into it that we can. Our goal is not to make the food in the container ‘appear’ to be more. Our clients know that the portions are generous, and new clients are always surprised by how much food we manage to squeeze into each container. The packaging we use (lids and containers) are recyclable in Ottawa’s Blue Box Program.
Our cardboard boxes, cans & bottles are separated from our garbage and recycled through our relationship with Tomlinson. They come twice a week to pick up those items, leaving very little that goes into the garbage.
Our food waste (trimmings, peels, ends) is kept separate from our garbage and stored for pick up by one of our farmers. This provides our farmer with both income (as we pay to have it picked up) and also food to feed his pigs on the farm.
Our coffee supplier uses solar power to roast their fairly traded product, and it’s delivered to our door in their own fully electric vehicle. Their packages are 100% compostable, and we keep our spent coffee grains for them to pick up and they use them to fertilize their gardens.
During the growing season, our farmers deliver to us in reusable containers, and either transfer to our own reusable containers, or we hold them for our farmers to pick up on their next visit. Sourcing locally supports our community, and reduces the distance that food travels from field to plate.
Electric Delivery Vehicles
In 2018, we replaced our one gas powered vehicle with two zero emission fully electric vehicles, which are used to deliver meals to our clients and run errands for our business. Since then we have added two more EV’s to our fleet.
Ontario Bike Destination
We are a destination for Ontario by Bike, providing easy access for cyclists, and a safe place to lock your bicycle.
We source all of our ingredients in bulk, in their purest form. For example, loose vegetables, fruits, grains, legumes, sugar, flour come into our shop in cardboard boxes, or large paper bags weighing anywhere from 10 to 22 kilos. Meat is sourced directly from the farmer and is packaged in bulk, boxed, or wrapped in paper.